Friday, July 17, 2015

Open Concept

Many of the dollhouses that I have seen, and the ones that I have built myself, have had very closed off rooms.  I generally look for a way to fix this immediately.  Although, I am not always sure how to arrange the furniture in an open concept floor area, I do know that I like how they look.  I've always liked the flow and the fact that everything can be seen from one vantage point.  No need for mirrors, cameras or running around like a maniac to find out what a noise was.  Must be a natural maternal instinct?  I digress.

Back on track!  When building this house (last summer) they tell you where to put the additional walls to make the six or seven rooms....yeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh, I wouldn't be doing that.  This was the first house that I've built that achieving an open concept wasn't going to be a headache!  I have one, pretty much, in Mt. Ollopa Lodge, but this would be a more modern take. More Jonathan and Drew Scott approach.

So where did we leave off last time?  The floors!  The floors had been done.  I love them.  So glossy.  So colorful.  Sooooooo beautiful!!!

I have now put up the wallpaper in the big open room.  The majority of it is a pale grey green called "Old Paper" by Jim Holtz and Ranger-the Distress Collection.  It has a wonderful texture on it that I just love.  The bay window, where the dining area is, features "Weathered Tin" from the same line.


The door trim and baseboards are all basswood that I painted with Americana White Wash,



The kitchen set is from HBS and I painted the counter tops black granite.  I plan on putting in a fun back splash.  I also chiseled off all the fake looking kitchen stuff-stove top, fridge stuff, microwave... and plan on adding my own, more realistic looking stuff.  All of the kitchen cabinets will be glued into place.  I plan on not keeping this monster of a house and building it to be suitable for an older child.  I want it to look nice, but still be sturdy.

The dining room set is the one from Melissa and Doug-it was a gift from James.  I plan on refinishing it.  I'm just NOT a huge fan of the red stain and red velvet.  Too gaudy for my taste.  I'm leaning toward white and grey.  The hutch may become an accent piece in a different color, but will also lose it's original red finish.

The only custom furniture I plan for the area is in the living room. These are just place holders in the mean time.

Now I have furniture to make and paint.... ceilings to address and windows and window frames... and the next room over.  I have already chosen the paper for that room.  A beautiful shade of blue, from the same line of papers.  :]  I will actually be using the Jim Holtz line throughout most of the house.  Hope to be back soon!  Kids start school in 5 weeks!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. This is all so lovely. The open concept works very well here, and all of the minis you've chosen work well in the space. Bravo, Pea! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from Spain: I really like these rooms. Fabulous furniture. Nice photos.We keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! The wallpaper looks like smooth paint! The floor fits perfectly!

    I don't like open plan homes in real life. I always think of cooking smells and grease getting on furniture etc. As far as mini homes are concerned...anything goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you have done! Your floors are so beautiful, like a mirror! I like the furniture placement. Looking forward to what is to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The flooring is just beautiful :) I love how well the wall colour compliments the colours in the floor too. The open concept is very nice, can't wait to see the custom furniture you make!

    ReplyDelete

If the spam gets bad, I will turn the captcha back on! I hope I don't have to!